Friday, December 23, 2011

Thank You!


Today I am writing with such enormous amounts of joy! Journey to Hope has grown to be a legitimate community business and I couldn’t be more proud of our organization: board members, volunteers & advocates! Since August, we have had two benefit classes, trained 7 lovely volunteers, had a board meeting and much, much more. I couldn’t be more thrilled to see my dreams turning into realities.

 As a child, I never knew exactly what I wanted to be – other than a leader. Princess. Figure skater. Horse jockey. Vet. Dolphin trainer….. When I started my undergraduate degree, I was equally confused.  I was a journalism major to begin with, and graduated four years later with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theater, and a double minor in English and education. Indecisive much?

Nothing fit. Everything felt good, but nothing felt great. I wanted to be like so many of my girlfriends, who had always known what they wanted to be: zoo keeper, vet, dancer and more. When I found yoga, something clicked inside. I went on to finish my master’s degree in education, as it was the “right thing to do.” I needed a “real job,” so my yoga teacher training would be for a fun side job – yeah right! 

While I was finishing my degree and moving out of my childhood home (to be with my hubby!), and wedding planning – I was fully expecting to find a job as a school teacher. Little did I know that there was another, much bigger plan, in the works. My job search kept being put off and I found myself employed for the summer at two wonderful studios: Power Yoga of Cape Cod & The Moving Meditation. I made almost no money while we planned for our wedding – but Ifinally felt that I was in a job, no, a career where I wanted to stay and grow. Something finally fit.

One afternoon in August, I went to the West Dennis Library to inquire about hanging my for profit business cards on their bulletin board. They explained to me that they only hung non-profit and community flyers. Completely organically, I said “I’m starting a non-profit!” In the back of my mind, I knew I wanted Journey to Hope exist, but not until that moment did I turn my dreams and desires into action and reality. That first step inspired me to make us a legal non-profit and embark upon the most amazing journey of my life! I am so proud to be the leader of this amazing business – watching our volunteers excitement and our students growth!





Thank you to each and every one of you who believe in the Journey to Hope mission. Thank you to our brand new batch of amazing, ground running Journey to Hope teachers. You inspire me to continue this mission and become a staple in the Cape Cod community.

Thank you!!

Get out there – do yoga & make life sparkle!!
Namaste,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment