Thursday, February 2, 2012

Jenny's Top Ten Book List


You’ve heard me mention, more than once, that I am a nerd. A huge nerd! I graduated this summer with my master’s degree in education and from my yoga teacher training...and I am already planning my next educational adventure! Along the way I have read many amazing books. Books pertaining to yoga, love, life & more.

During my yoga teacher training I was blessed with a wonderful teacher, Jen Ryan, who put a LOT of thought into our books & our curriculum. Three of my favorite books from my RYT were: The Seven Spiritual Laws of YogaHeart of Yoga & Light on the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali.

~~~~~

Seven Spiritual Laws


Deepak Chopra writes “a practical guide to healing body, mind and spirit.” Chopra claims that each law connects to a day of the week. His laws, on karma, least effort & more, broaden across all horizons. I will often read or practice a “Wednesday law” on a Sunday.... mix it up! His book is a great read for any yogi, new or old, as his laws translate well into our modern world.

The Heart of Yoga


The Heart of Yoga by T.K.V. Desikachar is the BEST yoga book that I own. Hands down. Without fail...and whatever other idiom you wish to use. This book is an inside; in depth look at all the pieces of yoga. Easy enough for a beginner and rich enough for an “advanced yogi.” (I use advanced in quotes, as we all practiceyoga and can always find growth).

Light on the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali


Light on the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali by B.K.S. Iyengar is a rich text. It is built similarly to a textbook. In the beginning of this text, Iyengar mimics a lot of Desikachars insight in the Heart of Yoga. The bulk of this text is the yoga sutras and their translation. This is a great book to flip though for reference, meditation or class readings.

~~~~~~

The next set of yoga books I have found through friends and family. Ana Forrest’s Fierce Medicine was a birthday gift from the hubby, while The Way We Work & Yoga of the Nine Emotions were Christmas gifts from my mom. Each of these books were recommendations from friends, who are always a wonderful resource.

Fierce Medicine


I am not going to lie to you; I am three quarters of the way though Fierce Medicine by Ana Forrest and it is already on my top ten list. This book is a combination of Ana’s personal journey, recommendations for YOUR personal growth as well as poses to enhance and enrich this growth. For the past two months, I have picked up and put down this book. It is not a quick read, but an important and rich text. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Yoga of the Nine Emotions


Yoga of the Nine Emotions by Peter Marchard, follows our rasas or nine emotions. Peter, a student of Harish Johari, outlines how we are actually in control of each of our emotions. It is a step-by-step manual that guides practitioners to work with and sometimes through our emotional selves. I absolutely recommend this book. Especially for those trying to connect what we find on our mats, to our real worlds!

The Way We Work


A colorful anatomy textbook! Lots of descriptions! References! Poses! .... do Ireally need to elaborate??

~~~~~

The last four books on my list are my personal favorites. They would be on my best-seller list and are often books that I enjoy giving as gifts!!

The Alchemist


If you haven’t read The Alchemist, go to the library or bookstore after you read this article. Paulo Cohello is a genius, gifted, kind & enlightened writer. Although on the outside this book is about a young shepherd trying to find his purpose in life, it has a much deeper, underlying message and meaning. This is by far the most amazing book I have ever read. (Also, I read this book in 2 days! It is a quick read).

Le Petit Prince


Le Petit Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, was recommended to me by my dear friend, Ms. Beth (who has started a rescue for dogs in Vermont...check it out!). It is another book with a hidden meaning. The little prince leaves his home planet to discover and learn about the world. Along the way, he meets many characters and friends. I read this book during a 2-hour layover at the airport! Great, cute & quick read!

The Five People You Meet in Heaven


This book, by Mitch Albom, was one of the first books to change my life. It is about a man who dies and the five people he meets while he is in heaven. Each person is much different from who you think we should run into. It makes you realize that every step we take affects someone around us – and sometimes we don’t even know who that someone is. Another quick read...and be prepared to grab a box of tissues!

Things I Want my Daughters to Know


Things I Want My Daughters to Know, by Alexandra Stoddard is my favorite self-help book. When I first borrowed it off the Lululemon Education bookshelf, I knew this book would hold the key to my success. From chapters on how to “travel heavy” to “positive people live longer than pessimists” it ranges from thoughtful to funny and everything in between. And I was right, by the way! This book pushed me to believe I could take my yoga teacher training and is now the book I read from most often in class.

I hope at least one of these books touches your lives!

Get out there – READ – do yoga & make life sparkle!
Namaste,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment