Thursday, July 26, 2012

Don't let your mind bully your body!


I saw a sign on pinterest the other day that really caught my attention. It is the one above: “Don’t let your mind bully your body.” I love it! The whole idea that we aren’t perfect stems from information we were fed as children and teenagers. The idea that your body isn’t great the way it is can be a load of bullshit.

As with many quotes, I brought it into my classes this week. I kept repeating the mantra of joy and love and accepting yourself completely for who you are. DON’T LET YOUR MIND BULLY YOUR BODY.

As with most quotes, I asked my students to believe in themselves and then looked in the mirror and had a huge argument with myself. I had to convince my mind, just as much as the minds of my students.

Then I saw this:


The part that really resonated was the comment a girl before me pinned. She said: “Read it again and again and again, to yourself and your daughters. Until it really sinks in.

What a concept. I read all of these amazing meditations, passages and quotes everyday. I dig down deep into my soul and try to be as kind to myself as possible, but I don’t always believe it. It is why I try so hard to get others to love themselves as well. We are on this journey together and the more the merrier. The more people you have on your side, supporting you and believing, the better your world will become.

I’ve often said that you’re an average of the top five people you spend the most time with. Aside from my husband and our furry babies, I spend a LOT of time with my students. They are so empowering. They are beautiful from the inside out. Even (and especially) when I make them cry, they continue to give everything they have and more to their practice. It is amazing to watch and their energy is not only captivating but also contagious. They make me want to further my practice, further my education and further my future.

My students feed my practice. They do not feed my ego. I don’t need them to follow my classes and attend all (appreciated, but not needed). I need them to go to other teachers to explore and bring more variety and joy into their practice. I love their energy and I am so blessed to have each and every student who walks through the door. But we create a practice together. I may lead, but I most certainly follow as well. Yoga is a community. Together we can make a difference in the way we view our world.

My husband said the other day that he is afraid for our future children because he doesn’t know what the world will bring. With terrible and heart wrenching acts such as the shootings in Aurora, the world doesn’t seem too safe. But there are other stories. Stories that I hear everyday because I surround myself with wonderful people.

An old acquaintance from high school has a beautiful four-year old baby girl. Her little girls dad lives in South Africa, but as tickets are expensive Kate & Adria have trouble flying there! Kate recently won a contest to fly them there for free. The only problem was the contest requires you to pay fuel surcharges: an additional $1,000! Facebook and friends came to the rescue! Yesterday, a friend of hers put up this little beauty and within an hour and a half, the entire goal (with excess) was achieved!

Little acts like this: helping a mother reunite her daughter with her father, a compliment from a stranger as you walk down the street, a hug from your neighbor and so much more. They remind me that we need to look at the whole picture. I can spend all day in front of the mirror telling you what is wrong with myself or I can spend my day spreading love and light. Asking people to create a community of goodness. I’m not afraid for our children. Yes, I am anxious in certain ways. But we will teach them to spread that goodness and light as well. We will teach them to love, to give and to help others.



Get out there – do yoga & make life sparkle!
                                                                             Namaste,
                                                                               Jenny



No comments:

Post a Comment