Friday, June 15, 2012

Do it Anyway!


At church this past weekend, the minister read the passage “Do it Anyway” by Mother Theresa. I really attached to it and as it resonated with me, I decided to share it in a few classes I taught this week. I also want to share it with you, and highlight a few of my favorite lines!

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God
It was never between you and them anyway.

I love this passage, and although I believe I must have heard it before, I really connected to it this time around. As the minister read on, the ideas began to form in my head. I need to build anyway. I need to forgive and be kind, and most importantly I need to be happy and successful.

I also recently read a blog post on being thevillain. I so wish that I didn’t have to be. There are days when I wish everyone was kind and just and lovely. But this past week, I experienced heartbreak through trying to help someone else. I took a lot of time out of my day and evening to find a puppy a home (from a lady whom I had just met at the vet) and then without even calling or asking or explaining, she revoked her offer to the person whom I had placed for the puppy! What a cruel and mean thing to do. With no explanation, they took the puppy back. But after reading the villain post, and re-reading the Do it Anyway passage, I realize that there are people in this world who thrive on being jealous and cruel.

(And don’t worry; the person who was supposed to get the puppy is now in contact with Apollo’s shelter. He will have a forever friend soon!)

I have some former friends who thrive on being cruel or having an attitude. And although I no longer associate with most of them, I realize it is their way of life. Just as with some of my very good friends who would not rather hear aboutrainbows & kittens, there are those of us who see life in a different light. I cannot blame them, as much as I cannot blame someone who doesn’t understand my way of life and thinking.

A young man in church put it very well the other day. In regards to being both a boy scout and a church member, he proclaimed: “We need to figure those who do not yet understand.” It is true. After many discussions with some of my family members about gay marriage, yoga, love, truth, purple hair, tattoos and piercings... there is sometimes not a middle ground. And so I need to forgive. Instead of being upset or angry or stooping to a level below myself, I decided to forgive those who do not yet understand. I decided to be happy anyway. I decided to live my life the way I need to and want to.

In choosing to be happy, I am also indirectly choosing to be someone’s villain or victim. I am okay with that. If that is what they need, they may use me for target practice. I am only just beginning to understand how beautiful, strong, generous and kind I am! I am not conceded by any means (it takes a lot just to write that – or say it out loud)... but I am finally a believer in myself and Radical Self Love! I am finally strong enough to remain happy and perhaps be the villain. This is the way I choose to live my life: with happiness, abundance, love and self-worth for both my family and myself.

How do you choose to live yours?

Get out there – do yoga & make life sparkle,
Namaste,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment